Self-injury is a choice. There is only pain - not relief - in self-injury. Self-injury negatively affects all portions of a person's life: physical, mental, emotional, and social. There is no compromise with self-injury. The goal of treatment is complete abstinence.
We host a structured group for those who self injure and desire to change that behavior. Exercises and assignments, focusing on basic principles of the S.A.F.E. ALTERNATIVES® philosophy, will help participants identify and express their feelings appropriately and to decrease or eliminate the impulses to self injure. We focus on shifting control to the client, empowering them to make healthy choices, including the choice to not self injure.
We help our clients find safe alternatives to self injury. Our approach is based on the S.A.F.E. curriculum (Self Abuse Finally Ends).
- To increase the awareness of destructive behaviors
- To increase the awareness of the consequences of destructive behaviors
- To increase the awareness of feelings
- To learn to identify feelings
- To learn to tolerate feelings
- To learn constructive techniques to verbalize and process feelings
- To apply these constructive coping techniques to daily living.